useing grizzly for messaging beetween server and client

useing grizzly for messaging beetween server and client

Stanczak Group
Sorry I just signed up and don't have this message to reply to. I don't
know how to get it either, so I just used the same subject line.

So here's my question/response. I like Jeanfrancois response of using
Comet as the communication protocol, but right now I neither understand
Comet or Grizzly. I've worked with others such as Mina, so I'm sure I'll
pick up on it. I have the same issue as Ahmet. I want to develop a
server/client setup, using multiple client interfaces like Ahmet is
doing with the auction system. My primary interfaces will be Jave Swing,
but I my have a mix of JSP, Ajax, Flash possible. Is there a good place
to get a jump start on this Comet/Grizzly? Like for example do I use
HttpClient on the client site, or is there a better option? Thanks.

Hi Ahmet,

sorry for the delay.

Ahmet Sevdin wrote:
> Hi everbody,
>
> I am developing a client server system over internet. I need both
> request/response and publish/subscribe (or server push) messaging
> models.There will be both sync and async request processing. I tried the
> chat example I found on blogs and as I understand I can use grizzly as a
> internet communication engine or develop something like that to put
> between my server and clients. Is it possible?

Yes it is. The Grizzly Comet engine allow your application to either
implement your own protocol or use the Bayeux protocol [1]. Right now I
need to update the Bayeux protocol support as the spec evolved faster
that the Grizzly implementation (called gCometd). What kind of protocol
are you interested to implement? Do you want to use a Servlet based
application (jsp, jsf etc.)?

> If it is possible, I need to develop a simple application too see and
> test but I am new to java and many things confuses me. I searched for a
> tutorial which explains setting a development environment and trying
> samples on it, but I couldn't find. I found blogs but I can't follow
> them because I am a beginner. Any link or tutorial will be very usefull.
> Otherwise I can follow your advice to setup ideal development
> environment and make a few samples working on it. That also generates a
> tutorial for beginners like me. ( I can write it and post here for
> general use).

What kind of application do you have in mind?

> After that I also need your advices for the comminication engine I am
> talking about.
>
> Thanks

Justin Stanczak
Stanczak Group
812-735-3600

Edmund Burke

Re: useing grizzly for messaging beetween server and client

Stanczak Group
Ya, I was getting to downloading that today. But it would be helpful to
have a guide about using Grizzly. At least in the past I've had some
trouble just reading the code, as not all api's code and document
equally. I guess in the end it would be nice to have a good starting
point for building a client server arch with Grizzly. Do you know what
protocols Grizzly comes with? You said Comet, and HTTP I'm guessing.
Those being more of a combination with Comet.

--
Justin Stanczak
Stanczak Group
812-735-3600

Edmund Burke

Re: useing grizzly for messaging beetween server and client

again, sorry for the delay :-)

Stanczak Group wrote:

> Sorry I just signed up and don't have this message to reply to. I don't
> know how to get it either, so I just used the same subject line.
>
> So here's my question/response. I like Jeanfrancois response of using
> Comet as the communication protocol, but right now I neither understand
> Comet or Grizzly. I've worked with others such as Mina, so I'm sure I'll
> pick up on it. I have the same issue as Ahmet. I want to develop a
> server/client setup, using multiple client interfaces like Ahmet is
> doing with the auction system. My primary interfaces will be Jave Swing,
> but I my have a mix of JSP, Ajax, Flash possible. Is there a good place
> to get a jump start on this Comet/Grizzly?

The only places is my blog right now (GlassFish v2 documentation will
contains a tutorial...but this is not yet ready). I recommend you take a
look at the following blog (sorry pushing my own food)

Introduction
-------------
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/jfarcand/archive/2007/05/new_adventures.html

Server side
-----------
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/jfarcand/archive/2006/07/the_grizzly_com.html
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/jfarcand/archive/2006/10/writting_a_come.html

Client side
------------
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/jfarcand/archive/2007/06/new_adventures_3.html
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/jfarcand/archive/2007/03/jmaki_comet_orb_1.html

General information
-------------------
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/jfarcand/archive/2006/02/grizzly_part_ii.html
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/jfarcand/archive/2007/03/new_adventures_1.html

Like for example do I use
> HttpClient on the client site, or is there a better option? Thanks.

HttpClient is good but for Comet I'm not sure you can do long polling.

Yes yes yes I need to documents more comet :-)

> Hi Ahmet,
>
> sorry for the delay.
>
> Ahmet Sevdin wrote:
>> Hi everbody,
>>
>> I am developing a client server system over internet. I need both
>> request/response and publish/subscribe (or server push) messaging
>> models.There will be both sync and async request processing. I tried
>> the chat example I found on blogs and as I understand I can use
>> grizzly as a internet communication engine or develop something like
>> that to put between my server and clients. Is it possible?
>
> Yes it is. The Grizzly Comet engine allow your application to either
> implement your own protocol or use the Bayeux protocol [1]. Right now I
> need to update the Bayeux protocol support as the spec evolved faster
> that the Grizzly implementation (called gCometd). What kind of protocol
> are you interested to implement? Do you want to use a Servlet based
> application (jsp, jsf etc.)?
>

>> If it is possible, I need to develop a simple application too see and
>> test but I am new to java and many things confuses me. I searched for
>> a tutorial which explains setting a development environment and trying
>> samples on it, but I couldn't find. I found blogs but I can't follow
>> them because I am a beginner. Any link or tutorial will be very
>> usefull. Otherwise I can follow your advice to setup ideal development
>> environment and make a few samples working on it. That also generates
>> a tutorial for beginners like me. ( I can write it and post here for
>> general use).
>
> What kind of application do you have in mind?
>

>> After that I also need your advices for the comminication engine I am
>> talking about.
>>
>> Thanks
>

> Thanks
>
> -- Jeanfrancois

Re: useing grizzly for messaging beetween server and client

Stanczak Group
Thank you very much, however I've already read those and came up with
the question of using something I could write a Swing client to. I've
found the something like Restlet is a possibility, can Grizzly do
something like that?

Justin Stanczak
Stanczak Group
812-735-3600