stress test with bear2.0

dragonken
Hi,

I download your latest code from trunk and recompile it for stress test. The result is much better than the snapshot last week. However, the server sometime will throw NullPointerException.

Regards,
Ken

2010年3月29日 下午12:42:34 com.sun.grizzly.nio.transport.TCPNIOTransport fireIOE
vent
警告: Unexpected exception occurred fireIOEvent().connection=com.sun.grizzly.nio
.transport.TCPNIOConnection@1e2afb2 event=WRITE
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at com.sun.grizzly.nio.transport.TCPNIOTransport.write(TCPNIOTransport.j
ava:891)
        at com.sun.grizzly.nio.transport.TCPNIOAsyncQueueWriter.write0(TCPNIOAsy
ncQueueWriter.java:69)
        at com.sun.grizzly.nio.AbstractNIOAsyncQueueWriter.doWrite(AbstractNIOAs
yncQueueWriter.java:324)
        at com.sun.grizzly.nio.AbstractNIOAsyncQueueWriter.processAsync(Abstract
NIOAsyncQueueWriter.java:239)
        at com.sun.grizzly.filterchain.DefaultFilterChain.process(DefaultFilterC
hain.java:173)
        at com.sun.grizzly.ProcessorExecutor.resume(ProcessorExecutor.java:73)
        at com.sun.grizzly.ProcessorExecutor.execute(ProcessorExecutor.java:61)
        at com.sun.grizzly.nio.transport.TCPNIOTransport.fireIOEvent(TCPNIOTrans
port.java:634)
        at com.sun.grizzly.strategies.WorkerThreadStrategy$1.run(WorkerThreadStr
ategy.java:115)
        at com.sun.grizzly.threadpool.AbstractThreadPool$Worker.doWork(AbstractT
hreadPool.java:417)
        at com.sun.grizzly.threadpool.AbstractThreadPool$Worker.run(AbstractThre
adPool.java:398)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
java.io.IOException: Connection is closed
        at com.sun.grizzly.nio.AbstractNIOAsyncQueueWriter.write(AbstractNIOAsyn
cQueueWriter.java:112)
        at com.sun.grizzly.nio.AbstractNIOAsyncQueueWriter.write(AbstractNIOAsyn
cQueueWriter.java:93)
        at com.sun.grizzly.nio.AbstractNIOAsyncQueueWriter.write(AbstractNIOAsyn
cQueueWriter.java:67)
        at com.sun.grizzly.AbstractWriter.write(AbstractWriter.java:68)
        at com.mycompany.net.GrizzlyMessageHandler.write(GrizzlyMessageHandler.java:
61)
        at com.mycompany.net.GrizzlyMessageHandler.publishToSubscribers(GrizzlyMessa
geHandler.java:40)
        at com.mycompany.queue.test.QTestASCIIServOutItem.run(QTestASCIIServOutItem.
java:26)
        at com.mycompany.executor.SerialExecutor$1.run(SerialExecutor.java:76)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExec
utor.java:886)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor
.java:908)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Re: stress test with bear2.0

ming qin
Ken:
  Can you share with community of your testing environment settings and testing case which generated those nullpointException?

Ming Qin
Cell Phone 858-353-2839

Re: stress test with bear2.0

Oleksiy Stashok
Hi Ken,

agree with Ming Qin, it could be interesting to take a look at the code, or its part, which actually causes this.
From the exception it looks like you pass null buffer for the write operation, can you pls. check this?

On Mar 30, 2010, at 6:51 , Ming Qin wrote:

Ken:
  Can you share with community of your testing environment settings and testing case which generated those nullpointException?

Ming Qin
Cell Phone 858-353-2839

Re: stress test with bear2.0

dragonken
attached
src.zip

It's a very rough code create by our teammate.

Regards,
Ken

Oleksiy Stashok wrote
Hi Ken,

agree with Ming Qin, it could be interesting to take a look at the
code, or its part, which actually causes this.
 From the exception it looks like you pass null buffer for the write
operation, can you pls. check this?

> [...]

> com
> .mycompany.net.GrizzlyMessageHandler.write(GrizzlyMessageHandler.java:
> 61)
>         at
> com
> .mycompany.net.GrizzlyMessageHandler.publishToSubscribers(GrizzlyMessa
> geHandler.java:40)
>         at
> com
> .mycompany.queue.test.QTestASCIIServOutItem.run(QTestASCIIServOutItem.
> java:26)
>         at
> com.mycompany.executor.SerialExecutor$1.run(SerialExecutor.java:76)
>         at
> java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExec
> utor.java:886)
>         at
> java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor

Re: stress test with bear2.0

Oleksiy Stashok
Ken, does it happen during the normal run 1server <-> 1client, or when
you stop the client for example or something else?

On Mar 30, 2010, at 13:04 , [hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
>>>        at
>>> com
>>> .mycompany
>>> .net.GrizzlyMessageHandler.publishToSubscribers(GrizzlyMessa
>>> geHandler.java:40)
>>>        at
>>> com
>>> .mycompany
>>> .queue.test.QTestASCIIServOutItem.run(QTestASCIIServOutItem.
>>> java:26)
>>>        at
>>> com.mycompany.executor.SerialExecutor$1.run(SerialExecutor.java:76)
>>>        at
>>> java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor
>>> $Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExec
>>> utor.java:886)
>>>        at
>>> java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor
>>> $Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor
>>> .java:908)
>>>        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Re: stress test with bear2.0

dragonken
It happen during normal 1server <-> 1client and not the 'stop client' case.

Oleksiy Stashok wrote

On Mar 30, 2010, at 13:04 , Ken--@newsgroupstats.hk wrote:

> [...]
>>>        at
>>> com
>>> .mycompany
>>> .net.GrizzlyMessageHandler.publishToSubscribers(GrizzlyMessa
>>> geHandler.java:40)
>>>        at
>>> com
>>> .mycompany
>>> .queue.test.QTestASCIIServOutItem.run(QTestASCIIServOutItem.
>>> java:26)
>>>        at
>>> com.mycompany.executor.SerialExecutor$1.run(SerialExecutor.java:76)
>>>        at
>>> java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor
>>> $Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExec
>>> utor.java:886)
>>>        at
>>> java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor
>>> $Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor
>>> .java:908)
>>>        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Re: stress test with bear2.0

Eric Fong
Hi Alexey,

May I explain more on the stress test program here:
- This is a 1server <-> 1client program,
- Once stress client connects to stress server, both server and client will create a thread (StressCommon.startSendMsg()) to send message out. The rate is now set to 10,000 msg/sec (config in StressCommon, l_iRate). i.e. For both side, there're 10,000 msg in / out in the same time
- nullporinterexception will be thrown after a few sec:
2010年3月31日 下午05:31:33 com.sun.grizzly.nio.transport.TCPNIOTransport fireIOE
.transport.TCPNIOConnection@1010058 event=WRITE
[...]
- I do the same test with M3 before while M3 doesnt throw any exception and runs smoothly for more than a hour (New NIO Stress Test Result.doc)

Attached please find the updated stress test source for your reference.
src.zip

> [...]

>>>        at
>>> com
>>> .mycompany
>>> .net.GrizzlyMessageHandler.publishToSubscribers(GrizzlyMessa
>>> geHandler.java:40)
>>>        at
>>> com
>>> .mycompany
>>> .queue.test.QTestASCIIServOutItem.run(QTestASCIIServOutItem.
>>> java:26)
>>>        at
>>> com.mycompany.executor.SerialExecutor$1.run(SerialExecutor.java:76)
>>>        at
>>> java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor
>>> $Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExec
>>> utor.java:886)
>>>        at
>>> java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor
>>> $Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor
>>> .java:908)
>>>        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Re: stress test with bear2.0

Oleksiy Stashok
Hi Eric,

can I ask you to checkout the latest Grizzly 2.0 sources and try them
out with FINEST log level enabled for class:
"com.sun.grizzly.nio.AbstractNIOAsyncQueueWriter.level=FINEST"

If you'll see the exception - please send the output you've got from
the logger.

On Mar 31, 2010, at 11:56 , Eric Fong wrote:

> [...]
> adPool.java:398)
>        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
> - I do the same test with M3 before while M3 doesnt throw any
> exception and
> runs smoothly for more than a hour (
> http://old.nabble.com/file/p28093714/New%2BNIO%2BStress%2BTest.doc
> New NIO
> Stress Test Result.doc )
>
> Attached please find the updated stress test source for your
> reference.
> http://old.nabble.com/file/p28093714/src.zip src.zip
>

> [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> It happen during normal 1server <-> 1client and not the 'stop client'
>> case.
>>

>> Oleksiy Stashok wrote:
>>>
>>> Ken, does it happen during the normal run 1server <-> 1client, or
>>> when
>>> you stop the client for example or something else?

Re: stress test with bear2.0

Eric Fong
Hi Alexey

Thanks for your reply. The problem still occur even I using the latest code. Btw, if I set the log level to FINEST, the msg rate dropped significantly thus the problem cannot be replicated... I've tried another way to locate the problem and found that:

- the AsyncWriteQueueRecord item has been recycled by AbstractNIOAsyncQueueWriter.onWriteCompleted() -> record.recycle()

- however, the recycled item has been processed by AbstractNIOAsyncQueueWriter.processAsync() again, thus nullpointerexception throw out.

Regards
Eric

Oleksiy Stashok wrote
> [...]

> adPool.java:398)
>        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
> - I do the same test with M3 before while M3 doesnt throw any
> exception and
> runs smoothly for more than a hour (
> http://old.nabble.com/file/p28093714/New%2BNIO%2BStress%2BTest.doc
> New NIO
> Stress Test Result.doc )
>
> Attached please find the updated stress test source for your
> reference.
> http://old.nabble.com/file/p28093714/src.zip src.zip
>

> Ken--@newsgroupstats.hk wrote:
>>
>> It happen during normal 1server <-> 1client and not the 'stop client'
>> case.
>>

>> Oleksiy Stashok wrote:
>>>
>>> Ken, does it happen during the normal run 1server <-> 1client, or
>>> when
>>> you stop the client for example or something else?

Re: stress test with bear2.0

Oleksiy Stashok
Hi Eric,

that what I've suspected, that's why wanted to see the log why it
happens :)
I'll check more, but would like to ask you to try to reproduce issue
too...

Thank you!