reduce the chance of 'out of order delivery'

reduce the chance of 'out of order delivery'

dragonken
I learnt from someone that in C# there is some native api that can dynamically adjust tcp windows size (or other tcp parameters that I am not sure) to reduce the chance of TCP 'out of order delivery'. The difference is very significant when two end points is connected by external lease line while there has no any difference if local lan.

It is real and not rumor. I have stock quote application running on windows that have the C# middle ware plugged. The C# application is a stateless app and just transferring data from left hand to right hand. Stock quote in general have 1-2 seconds faster.

Can java / grizzly achieve it? Is it OS / platform related?

Ken

Re: reduce the chance of 'out of order delivery'

Oleksiy Stashok
Hi Ken,

I've forwarded this question to JDK folks, hope they will have the
answer.

On Jul 14, 2010, at 4:21 , [hidden email] wrote:

> I learnt from someone that in C# there is some native api that can
> dynamically adjust tcp windows size (or other tcp parameters that I
> am not
> sure) to reduce the chance of TCP 'out of order delivery'. The
> difference is
> very significant when two end points is connected by external lease
> line
> while there has no any difference if local lan.
>
> It is real and not rumor. I have stock quote application running on
> windows
> that have the C# middle ware plugged. The C# application is a
> stateless app
> and just transferring data from left hand to right hand. Stock quote
> in
> general have 1-2 seconds faster.
>
> Can java / grizzly achieve it? Is it OS / platform related?
>
> Ken

Re: reduce the chance of 'out of order delivery'

dragonken
Thanks to your reply and waiting your update.

Actually, I didn't mean C# have api that can improve tcp performance intelligently but there must exist some magic behind that I don't know.

I guess if java have access to OS level tcp settings, it may possible to fine tune tcp performance dynamically and programmically. What I have observed is a very real use case and I confirmed the transportation speed is really improved without modifying my java client server or adjust any windows registry.

before:

middle ware plugged in:
<remote server host> -- 2M lease line -- <c# middle ware> -- localhost -- <java client server> -- local lan -- <java applet on browser>

Regards,
Ken

Oleksiy Stashok wrote