[Vote] Releasing project Grizzly 1.6.1 (vote close 10/01)

[Vote] Releasing project Grizzly 1.6.1 (vote close 10/01)

we have again made good progress with the Project Grizzly. I would like
to propose releasing the 1.6.1 next Monday (10/01) so it gives peoples
time to test it and vote appropriately. If someone face any show
stopper, then I propose we should hold on until the issue is fixed.

Project Grizzly 1.6.1 is:

[ ] Stable
[ ] Beta
[ ] Alpha
[ ] broken, see issue [    ]

I'm  an AjaxWorld until Wednesday (promoting the bear's monster :-)) and
then I should have time to test it. Project that we need to make sure
aren't broken include Restlet, Sailfin, GlassFish v3, RSS binding
component, Jersey, etc.

Any help will be appreciated :-) and feel free to speak if you think the
release needs to be delayed by any issues.

Change log available here:
https://grizzly.dev.java.net/source/browse/*checkout*/grizzly/trunk/CHANGELOG.txt?rev=531

Doubts about SelectionKey expire

Luiz Hamilton R L Soares
Hi,

First of all, thanks for the help about Async TCP Server. I´ve implemented it, but my server was losing performance, so I decided to disable it.

Well, now I have another doubt.

I´m facing some problem with idle connections. I´ve set up timeout to five minutes and it was cancelling one SelectionKey each 5 minutes. And after some time, I have more than 1.000 idle connections and only one is cancelled every 5 minutes.

I looked the source code of DefaultSelectionKeyHandler and I´ve found a method called expire(Iterator<SelectionKey> iterator) . I changed one line:
nextKeysExpiration = currentTime + timeout;
nextKeysExpiration = currentTime + 20*1000L;
Now it tries to cancel a SelectionKey every 20 seconds and my timeout is still 5 minutes.

That was working fine, but after a while, keys that is more than 5 hours idle was not getting cancelled. So I´ve changed another line:

if (currentTime < nextKeysExpiration) {
                return;

if (currentTime < nextKeysExpiration) {
                //return;
}

I´ve just commented the "return". Now it is cancelling every SelectionKey which is expired.

Well, I´m not sure if I did something wrong. I´m afraid to get another problem after I´ve commented that return. My server is working fine and stable, but I´m not 100% sure if what I did is correct.

Thanks for any help,

Luiz Soares

Flickr agora em português. Você clica, todo mundo vê. Saiba mais.

Re: Doubts about SelectionKey expire

Jeanfrancois Arcand-2
Hi Luiz,

Luiz Hamilton R L Soares wrote:
[...]

Good catch! I agree the code seems to be buggy.

More to come...

-- Jeanfrancois

Luiz Soares

Flickr agora em português. Você clica, todo mundo vê. Saiba mais.

Re: Doubts about SelectionKey expire

Jeanfrancois Arcand-2
Hi Luiz,

I've just committed a fix. Can you try it and let me know if that fixed
your problem?

Jeanfrancois Arcand wrote:

> Hi Luiz,
>
> Luiz Hamilton R L Soares wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> First of all, thanks for the help about Async TCP Server. I´ve
>> implemented it, but my server was losing performance, so I decided to
>> disable it.
>>
>> Well, now I have another doubt.
>>
>> I´m facing some problem with idle connections. I´ve set up timeout to
>> five minutes and it was cancelling one SelectionKey each 5 minutes.
>> And after some time, I have more than 1.000 idle connections and only
>> one is cancelled every 5 minutes.
>>
>> I looked the source code of DefaultSelectionKeyHandler and I´ve found
>> a method called expire(Iterator<SelectionKey> iterator) . I changed
>> one line:
>> nextKeysExpiration = currentTime + timeout;
>> nextKeysExpiration = currentTime + 20*1000L;
>> Now it tries to cancel a SelectionKey every 20 seconds and my timeout
>> is still 5 minutes.
>>
>> That was working fine, but after a while, keys that is more than 5
>> hours idle was not getting cancelled. So I´ve changed another line:
>>
>> if (currentTime < nextKeysExpiration) {
>>                 return;
>> }

>> if (currentTime < nextKeysExpiration) {
>>                 //return;
>> }
>>
>> I´ve just commented the "return". Now it is cancelling every
>> SelectionKey which is expired.
>>
>> Well, I´m not sure if I did something wrong. I´m afraid to get another
>> problem after I´ve commented that return. My server is working fine
>> and stable, but I´m not 100% sure if what I did is correct.
>>
>> Thanks for any help,
> Good catch! I agree the code seems to be buggy.
>
> More to come...
>
> -- Jeanfrancois
>

>> Luiz Soares
>>

>> Flickr agora em português. Você clica, todo mundo vê. Saiba mais
>> <http://br.rd.yahoo.com/mail/taglines/flickr/*http://www.flickr.com.br/>.

Re: Doubts about SelectionKey expire

Luiz Hamilton R L Soares
Jeanfrancois,

I´ve tried it and it is working fine.

Thanks for your help,

Luiz

Jeanfrancois Arcand wrote:

> Hi Luiz,
>
> Luiz Hamilton R L Soares wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> First of all, thanks for the help about Async TCP Server. I´ve
>> implemented it, but my server was losing performance, so I decided to
>> disable it.
>>
>> Well, now I have another doubt.
>>
>> I´m facing some problem with idle connections. I´ve set up timeout to
>> five minutes and it was cancelling one SelectionKey each 5 minutes.
>> And after some time, I have more than 1.000 idle connections and only
>> one is cancelled every 5 minutes.
>>
>> I looked the source code of DefaultSelectionKeyHandler and I´ve found
>> a method called expire(Iterator iterator) . I changed
>> one line:
>> nextKeysExpiration = currentTime + timeout;
>> nextKeysExpiration = currentTime + 20*1000L;
>> Now it tries to cancel a SelectionKey every 20 seconds and my timeout
>> is still 5 minutes.
>>
>> That was working fine, but after a while, keys that is more than 5
>> hours idle was not getting cancelled. So I´ve changed another line:
>>
>> if (currentTime < nextKeysExpiration) {
>> return;
>> }

>> if (currentTime < nextKeysExpiration) {
>> //return;
>> }
>>
>> I´ve just commented the "return". Now it is cancelling every
>> SelectionKey which is expired.
>>
>> Well, I´m not sure if I did something wrong. I´m afraid to get another
>> problem after I´ve commented that return. My server is working fine
>> and stable, but I´m not 100% sure if what I did is correct.
>>
>> Thanks for any help,
> Good catch! I agree the code seems to be buggy.
>
> More to come...
>
> -- Jeanfrancois
>

>> Luiz Soares
>>

>> Flickr agora em português. Você clica, todo mundo vê. Saiba mais
>> .

Flickr agora em português. Você clica, todo mundo vê. Saiba mais.

Re: Doubts about SelectionKey expire

Jeanfrancois Arcand-2

Luiz Hamilton R L Soares wrote:
> Jeanfrancois,
>
> I´ve tried it and it is working fine.
>
> Thanks for your help,

Thanks for the feedback :-) More patch like that are welcome :-)

-- Jeanfrancois

> [...]
>      >>
>      >> Thanks for any help,
>      > Good catch! I agree the code seems to be buggy.
>      >
>      > More to come...
>      >
>      > -- Jeanfrancois
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >>
>      >> Luiz Soares
>      >>
>      >>
>      >>
>      >>
>      >> Flickr agora em português. Você clica, todo mundo vê. Saiba mais
>      >> .
>      >>

>     For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>

> Flickr agora em português. Você clica, todo mundo vê. Saiba mais

Re: [Vote] Releasing project Grizzly 1.6.1 (vote close 10/01)

> [X] Stable
> [ ] Beta
> [ ] Alpha
> [ ] broken, see issue [    ]

Re: [Vote] Releasing project Grizzly 1.6.1 (vote close 10/01)

Oleksiy Stashok
Hello,

[X] Stable
[ ] Beta
[ ] Alpha
[ ] broken, see issue [    ]

Alexey.

Jeanfrancois Arcand wrote:

>> [X] Stable
>> [ ] Beta
>> [ ] Alpha
>> [ ] broken, see issue [    ]
>
> -- Jeanfrancois

Re: [Vote] Releasing project Grizzly 1.6.1 (vote close 10/01)

kcavanaugh
My vote:

[X] Stable
[ ] Beta
[ ] Alpha
[ ] broken, see issue [    ]

Ken.

Re: [Vote] Releasing project Grizzly 1.6.1 (vote close 10/01)

rampsarathy

[X] Stable
[ ] Beta
[ ] Alpha