Upcoming features for Grizzly? Time to speak!

Upcoming features for Grizzly? Time to speak!

since this community is constantly growing, I would like to start a
thread about what we should focus on for the next couple of months.

I've got a lot of private requests from all around the world, and I
think anybody interested to contribute would like to know what is
requested. So feel free to add you own requests to the list. I will
publish them, let say in two weeks, on our main site so new users that
wants to becomes committers knows where to start.

Here it is:

+ Improve documentations, which include back to back tutorials, blogs etc.

+ Asynchronous Http client support: We already have the tcp client and
http server side support. Writing a client will requires more works but
at least we already have the http parser available. This features have
been requested several times by the openESB project and JavaFX.

+ Asynchronous Write Queue: That one is probably the more urgent one as
it is clear we are missing that feature.

+ xSocket|Mina support: Those NIO Framework easily allow you to replace
their NIO provider. I'm interested to support both of them for their
easy to use, high level API.

+ Bayeux/cometd: The current implementation is not uptodate with the
latest specs.

+ AsyncRead/Write support in Comet: This feature is already available in
GlassFish v2 (Grizzly 1.0). We just need to ports it.

+ JRuby support: There is some missing features like adding your own
jars to the classpath at startup, jdbc support, etc.

+ Grizzly Web Server: Right now Grizzly is quite simple to configure
programmatically, but I would like to be able to configure it using a
property file or better, with Spring.

I need to dig more in my emails but that's a start :-) Feel free to add
anything!

Re: Upcoming features for Grizzly? Time to speak!

charlie hunt-3
How about adding something like a TransportConfiguration for Grizzly
that would allow one to easily configure Grizzly?  Perhaps even provide
a DefaultTransportConfiguration?

And, also provide a TransportManager which could take a
TransportConfiguration and then be able to start, stop, pause and resume
Grizzly?

What I am thinking is being able to do something like:

TransportConfiguration tc =
TransportConfiguration.createNewConfiguration(); // factory method
tc.setHostName("localhost");
tc.setPort(12345);
tc.protocol(UDP);
tc.set[other Grizzly configurables]();

TransportManager tm = TransportManager.getTransportManager(tc);

tm.start(); // start Grizzly

// ... some time later decide to pause processing
tm.pause();
// do some re-configuration
tc.setPort(54321);
tc.setHostName("failover-guy");
// resume processing
tm.resume();

If wanted to use the DefaultTransportConfiguration, one could easily do:

TransportConfiguration tc =
TransportConfiguration.getDefaultConfiguration();
TransportManager tm = TransportManager.getTransportManager(tc);
// start my Grizzly application
tm.start();

charlie ...

Jeanfrancois Arcand wrote:

> Hi,
>
> since this community is constantly growing, I would like to start a
> thread about what we should focus on for the next couple of months.
>
> I've got a lot of private requests from all around the world, and I
> think anybody interested to contribute would like to know what is
> requested. So feel free to add you own requests to the list. I will
> publish them, let say in two weeks, on our main site so new users that
> wants to becomes committers knows where to start.
>
> Here it is:
>
> + Improve documentations, which include back to back tutorials, blogs
> etc.
>
> + Asynchronous Http client support: We already have the tcp client and
> http server side support. Writing a client will requires more works
> but at least we already have the http parser available. This features
> have been requested several times by the openESB project and JavaFX.
>
> + Asynchronous Write Queue: That one is probably the more urgent one
> as it is clear we are missing that feature.
>
> + xSocket|Mina support: Those NIO Framework easily allow you to
> replace their NIO provider. I'm interested to support both of them for
> their easy to use, high level API.
>
> + Bayeux/cometd: The current implementation is not uptodate with the
> latest specs.
>
> + AsyncRead/Write support in Comet: This feature is already available
> in GlassFish v2 (Grizzly 1.0). We just need to ports it.
>
> + JRuby support: There is some missing features like adding your own
> jars to the classpath at startup, jdbc support, etc.
>
> + Grizzly Web Server: Right now Grizzly is quite simple to configure
> programmatically, but I would like to be able to configure it using a
> property file or better, with Spring.
>
> I need to dig more in my emails but that's a start :-) Feel free to
> add anything!
>
> Thanks
>
> -- Jeanfrancois

Charlie Hunt
Java Performance Engineer
630.285.7708 x47708 (Internal)

<http://java.sun.com/docs/performance/>

Re: Upcoming features for Grizzly? Time to speak!

向秦贤
2007/9/18, charlie hunt <[hidden email]>:

> How about adding something like a TransportConfiguration for Grizzly
> that would allow one to easily configure Grizzly?  Perhaps even provide
> a DefaultTransportConfiguration?
>
> And, also provide a TransportManager which could take a
> TransportConfiguration and then be able to start, stop, pause and resume
> Grizzly?
>
> What I am thinking is being able to do something like:
>
> TransportConfiguration tc =
> TransportConfiguration.createNewConfiguration(); // factory method
> tc.setHostName("localhost");
> tc.setPort(12345);
> tc.protocol(UDP);
> tc.set[other Grizzly configurables]();
>
> TransportManager tm = TransportManager.getTransportManager(tc);
>
> tm.start(); // start Grizzly
>
> // ... some time later decide to pause processing
> tm.pause();
> // do some re-configuration
> tc.setPort(54321);
> tc.setHostName("failover-guy");
> // resume processing
> tm.resume();
>
> If wanted to use the DefaultTransportConfiguration, one could easily do:
>
> TransportConfiguration tc =
> TransportConfiguration.getDefaultConfiguration();
> TransportManager tm = TransportManager.getTransportManager(tc);
> // start my Grizzly application
> tm.start();

IMHO,

XManager tm=XManager.getXManager();
tm.start();

whould be more clean.
why not getDefaultX(), because it must getDefaultX(), isn't?

> charlie ...
>
> Jeanfrancois Arcand wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > since this community is constantly growing, I would like to start a
> > thread about what we should focus on for the next couple of months.
> >
> > I've got a lot of private requests from all around the world, and I
> > think anybody interested to contribute would like to know what is
> > requested. So feel free to add you own requests to the list. I will
> > publish them, let say in two weeks, on our main site so new users that
> > wants to becomes committers knows where to start.
> >
> > Here it is:
> >
> > + Improve documentations, which include back to back tutorials, blogs
> > etc.
> >
> > + Asynchronous Http client support: We already have the tcp client and
> > http server side support. Writing a client will requires more works
> > but at least we already have the http parser available. This features
> > have been requested several times by the openESB project and JavaFX.
> >
> > + Asynchronous Write Queue: That one is probably the more urgent one
> > as it is clear we are missing that feature.
> >
> > + xSocket|Mina support: Those NIO Framework easily allow you to
> > replace their NIO provider. I'm interested to support both of them for
> > their easy to use, high level API.
> >
> > + Bayeux/cometd: The current implementation is not uptodate with the
> > latest specs.
> >
> > + AsyncRead/Write support in Comet: This feature is already available
> > in GlassFish v2 (Grizzly 1.0). We just need to ports it.
> >
> > + JRuby support: There is some missing features like adding your own
> > jars to the classpath at startup, jdbc support, etc.
> >
> > + Grizzly Web Server: Right now Grizzly is quite simple to configure
> > programmatically, but I would like to be able to configure it using a
> > property file or better, with Spring.
> >
> > I need to dig more in my emails but that's a start :-) Feel free to
> > add anything!
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > -- Jeanfrancois

> Charlie Hunt
> Java Performance Engineer
> 630.285.7708 x47708 (Internal)
>
> <http://java.sun.com/docs/performance/>

致敬
向秦贤

RE: Upcoming features for Grizzly? Time to speak!

Ustuntas Yaman
Hello Jeanfrancois,

First of all, congratulations on grizzly 1.6.

I just read through your email and have a comment on one part

>Grizzly Web Server: Right now Grizzly is quite simple to configure
>programmatically, but I would like to be able to configure it using a
>property file or better, with Spring.

I would leave out Spring or any other not too nessesary tools/frameworks for the sake of developers who don't use them or need them.

Thanks again for grizzly.

--
Yaman

winmail.dat (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Upcoming features for Grizzly? Time to speak!

Jeanfrancois Arcand-2
Hi Yaman,

Ustuntas Yaman wrote:
> Hello Jeanfrancois,
>
> First of all, congratulations on grizzly 1.6.

Thanks!

> I just read through your email and have a comment on one part
>
>> Grizzly Web Server: Right now Grizzly is quite simple to configure
>> programmatically, but I would like to be able to configure it using a
>> property file or better, with Spring.
>
> I would leave out Spring or any other not too nessesary tools/frameworks for the sake of developers who don't use them or need them.

Agree, but for new user, it might be cool to have such support. But your
point is well taken :-), I will make sure if such features is
implemented, it will be added as an add-on to the WebServer and not
shipped by default (or inside another package).

> Thanks again for grizzly.

You are welcome!