Selector / handle in windows vista

CigarMan

Does anyone know how to get the number of selector / socket handle in windows vista? Google is not very generous today and doesn’t want to tell me…

Simon

Re: Selector / handle in windows vista

Harsha Godugu
Simon Trudeau wrote:

Does anyone know how to get the number of selector / socket handle in windows vista? Google is not very generous today and doesn’t want to tell me…

Simon

Would you pl. make it a bit more clear on the question... ? Did  you mean nio selector or Grizzly's selector handler ? Since both are on Java, what  does this got to do with Vista?
..going in circles ;-)

-hg

RE: Re: Selector / handle in windows vista

CigarMan

Sorry I couldn’t be more precise, Jean-François wanted to know about my number of selectors and was giving me as reference the unix command:

% unlimit –l

So I would like to know the windows vista equivalent so I can give him his answer.

Thanks,

Simon.

-hg

Simon Trudeau wrote:

Sorry I couldn’t be more precise, Jean-François wanted to know about my number of selectors and was giving me as reference the unix command:

% unlimit –l

So I would like to know the windows vista equivalent so I can give him his answer.

I don't know about -l option for ulimit.  If you are trying to set a limit on number of file handles, you need to get into the windows registry. There is no direct command to do this, afaik on windows.  If you are trying to know 'all the open sockets' on a given win32 system, then one way is to check with netstat  and the other choice is to use a win32 utility like netmon , process explorer etc..

hths,
-hg

Thanks,

Simon.

Re: Selector / handle in windows vista

James Mansion-2
Harsha Godugu wrote:

> Simon Trudeau wrote:
>>
>> Sorry I couldn’t be more precise, Jean-François wanted to know about
>> my number of selectors and was giving me as reference the unix command:
>>
>> % unlimit –l
>>
>> So I would like to know the windows vista equivalent so I can give
>> him his answer.
>>
> I don't know about -l option for ulimit. If you are trying to set a
> limit on number of file handles, you need to get into the windows
> registry. There is no direct command to do this, afaik on windows. If
> you are trying to know 'all the open sockets' on a given win32 system,
> then one way is to check with netstat and the other choice is to use a
> win32 utility like netmon , process explorer etc..
Try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/196271 and
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314053/.

They predate Vista so their applicability might be suspect. This
certainly shows changes: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929851/en-us

James

.

James Mansion wrote:

> Harsha Godugu wrote:
>
>> Simon Trudeau wrote:
>>

>>> Sorry I couldn’t be more precise, Jean-François wanted to know about
>>> my number of selectors and was giving me as reference the unix command:
>>>
>>> % unlimit –l
>>>
>>> So I would like to know the windows vista equivalent so I can give
>>> him his answer.
>>>
>> I don't know about -l option for ulimit. If you are trying to set a
>> limit on number of file handles, you need to get into the windows
>> registry. There is no direct command to do this, afaik on windows. If
>> you are trying to know 'all the open sockets' on a given win32
>> system, then one way is to check with netstat and the other choice is
>> to use a win32 utility like netmon , process explorer etc..
>
> Try this:

Nice  and worthy links James.

IMO, all Grizzly users should be aware of win32 tcp/ip issues and their
patches when they run their Grizzly based applications on win32 based
OS.  This is very important in a scaled up environment.

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/196271 and
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314053/.

These URLs I'm aware of.  In fact, we bumped into   this issue - " An
operation on a socket could not be performed because the system lacked
sufficient buffer space or because a queue was full. " some time ago, on
win. server 2003 ee.
When this problem occurs, every attempt to open a connection fails
including ftp/ping etc.

> They predate Vista so their applicability might be suspect. This
> certainly shows changes: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929851/en-us

Thank you for this url. Very helpful.

-hg