[Q] Trouble invoking the selectorHandler protocolChain

[Q] Trouble invoking the selectorHandler protocolChain

CigarMan

Here’s my trouble I am almost done building this very nifty client (attached to this email) following our previous thread of discussion (thanks alot!) but my only trouble is that my protocolChain from my selectorHandler never gets invoked! I really don’t understand what needs to be done to invoke it, I though it would get invoked automatically when a packet is read on the channel.

On the server side, the protocolChain from the Controller gets invoked without a glitch. I know that because my server implements and EchoFilter and the callbackHandler from my client receives something (it triggers on OnRead()).

I could really appreciate some pointers! Thanks,

Simon

MyNIOClient.java (11K) Download Attachment

Re: [Q] Trouble invoking the selectorHandler protocolChain

Jeanfrancois Arcand-2

Simon Trudeau wrote:
> Here’s my trouble I am almost done building this very nifty client
> (attached to this email) following our previous thread of discussion
> (thanks alot!) but my only trouble is that my protocolChain from my
> selectorHandler never gets invoked! I really don’t understand what needs
> to be done to invoke it, I though it would get invoked automatically
> when a packet is read on the channel.

Inside you ClientCallBackHandler onRead/OnWrite, make sure you call:

ctx.getProtocolChain().execute(ioEvent.attachment());

because by default, the framework doesn't invoke the protocol chain for
the client.

> On the server side, the protocolChain from the Controller gets invoked
> without a glitch. I know that because my server implements and
> EchoFilter and the callbackHandler from my client receives something (it
> triggers on OnRead()).
>

> I could really appreciate some pointers! Thanks,
>

> Simon

RE: Re: [Q] Trouble invoking the selectorHandler protocolChain

CigarMan
Euhm... well, that explains it. I would have expected the framework to
be a bit more symetrical in its execution of filter chain between
clients and servers...

So, if I recap:

Scenario 1:
- Client sends packet to server
- server selectorHandler's protocolChain gets invoked then,
- server controller's protocolChain gets invoked.

Scenario 2;
- Client receive packets from server
- Client connectorHandler's callbackHandler onConnect() and onRead()
method get invoked then... ??? Nothing or does the client controller's
protocolChain gets invoked?

Like you have explained, the connectorHandler associated
selectorHandler's protocolChain doesn't get called.

Do I understand everything correctly?

Until now, I had always assumed that all filterChains were kind of
connected but acting at a different level of granularity.

- The CallBackHandler would act at the individual connection level
- The selectorHandler's filterChain would act on all connection incoming
to a port or from a protocol.
- And the Controller'S filterChain would act on all connections.

How should I be looking at this?

Thanks,

Simon

Simon Trudeau wrote:
> Euhm... well, that explains it. I would have expected the framework to
> be a bit more symetrical in its execution of filter chain between
> clients and servers...

More and more people are also saying that....Time for filling and RFE :-)

> So, if I recap:
>
> Scenario 1:
> - Client sends packet to server
> - server selectorHandler's protocolChain gets invoked then,
> - server controller's protocolChain gets invoked.
>
> Scenario 2;
> - Client receive packets from server
> - Client connectorHandler's callbackHandler onConnect() and onRead()
> method get invoked then... ??? Nothing or does the client controller's
> protocolChain gets invoked?
>
> Like you have explained, the connectorHandler associated
> selectorHandler's protocolChain doesn't get called.
>
> Do I understand everything correctly?

Yes.

> Until now, I had always assumed that all filterChains were kind of
> connected but acting at a different level of granularity.
>
> - The CallBackHandler would act at the individual connection level
> - The selectorHandler's filterChain would act on all connection incoming
> to a port or from a protocol.
> - And the Controller'S filterChain would act on all connections.

That's interesting (I like the idea)...right now only your first two
bullet are supported. The Controller filter chain will acts on all
incoming connection to SelectorHandler, but like you have found, not on
ConnectorHandler.

I will think how we can support that by default....Do you mind (sorry
for asking) filling an RFE with your observation? That way we will not
forget it!

> How should I be looking at this?
>
> Thanks,
>

> Simon
>
> Simon Trudeau wrote:
>> Here's my trouble I am almost done building this very nifty client
>> (attached to this email) following our previous thread of discussion
>> (thanks alot!) but my only trouble is that my protocolChain from my
>> selectorHandler never gets invoked! I really don't understand what
> needs
>> to be done to invoke it, I though it would get invoked automatically
>> when a packet is read on the channel.
>
> Inside you ClientCallBackHandler onRead/OnWrite, make sure you call:
>
> ctx.getProtocolChain().execute(ioEvent.attachment());
>
> because by default, the framework doesn't invoke the protocol chain for
> the client.
>
> Thanks
>
> -- Jeanfrancois
>

>> On the server side, the protocolChain from the Controller gets invoked
>
>> without a glitch. I know that because my server implements and
>> EchoFilter and the callbackHandler from my client receives something
> (it
>> triggers on OnRead()).
>>

>> I could really appreciate some pointers! Thanks,
>>

>> Simon

RE: Re: [Q] Trouble invoking the selectorHandler protocolChain

CigarMan
No problem... but what is an RFE? :.) Provide me with the URL and I will
do it.

Simon

> Euhm... well, that explains it. I would have expected the framework to
> be a bit more symetrical in its execution of filter chain between
> clients and servers...

More and more people are also saying that....Time for filling and RFE
:-)

Simon Trudeau wrote:
> No problem... but what is an RFE? :.) Provide me with the URL and I will
> do it.

Same as for the bug you filled, there is a category called enhancement
instead of bug :-)

Merci!!

-- Jeanfrancois

> Simon

There is ONE already ..

  [Issue 41] New - Remove the asymmetry in channel event handling in Grizzly

thanks,
Harsha

:-)

Simon Trudeau wrote:

[...]

I have filled up ticket #89 for this issue. I would have liked to update the ticket #41 but it seems that I don’t have permission to update a ticket (maybe I would need to join the development mailing list or something…). Anyway, now the issue won’t get lost!

Simon

Simon Trudeau wrote:
> I have filled up ticket #89 for this issue. I would have liked to update
> the ticket #41 but it seems that I don’t have permission to update a
> ticket (maybe I would need to join the development mailing list or
> something…). Anyway, now the issue won’t get lost!

Thanks!!!