Netbeans plugin

cowwoc
Hi,

I'd like to propose building a plugin for Netbeans, allowing us to use Grizzly as a server for web projects. I've summarized my reasoning here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6333056/running-webapps-in-separate-processes

Seeing as I know nothing about developing Netbeans plugins, would someone be willing to lend a hand in developing this?

Thanks,
Gili

Re: Netbeans plugin

Ryan Lubke-2
On 6/15/11 6:32 AM, cowwoc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to propose building a plugin for Netbeans, allowing us to use
> Grizzly as a server for web projects. I've summarized my reasoning here:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6333056/running-webapps-in-separate-processes
>
> Seeing as I know nothing about developing Netbeans plugins, would someone be
> willing to lend a hand in developing this?

I can't speak for everyone here obviously, but I'm guessing most of us
are probably
about as knowledgeable about developing NetBeans plugins.

Perhaps NB know-how would be more easily obtained from the NB users list?

That said, I'm certain we can help on the Grizzly aspects.

> Thanks,
> Gili

Re: Netbeans plugin

Ryan Lubke-2
On 6/15/11 9:34 AM, Ryan Lubke wrote:

> On 6/15/11 6:32 AM, cowwoc wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to propose building a plugin for Netbeans, allowing us to use
>> Grizzly as a server for web projects. I've summarized my reasoning here:
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6333056/running-webapps-in-separate-processes
>>

>> Seeing as I know nothing about developing Netbeans plugins, would
>> someone be
>> willing to lend a hand in developing this?
>
> I can't speak for everyone here obviously, but I'm guessing most of us
> are probably
> about as knowledgeable about developing NetBeans plugins.
>
> Perhaps NB know-how would be more easily obtained from the NB users list?
>
> That said, I'm certain we can help on the Grizzly aspects.

Additionally, Grizzly isn't a full web container.  We'd like to have
full Servlet support within Grizzly, but we're not quite there yet.

>> Thanks,
>> Gili

Re: Netbeans plugin

cowwoc
Ryan Lubke-2 wrote
Additionally, Grizzly isn't a full web container.  We'd like to have
full Servlet support within Grizzly, but we're not quite there yet.
What sort of things are missing?

Gili

Re: Netbeans plugin

Justin Lee-4
Basic servlets work (doGet, doPost, etc) but the deployer support isn't
nearly there, afaik.  Sebastien has done a fair bit of work on that but
I couldn't tell you how far along that is.

On 6/15/11 2:26 PM, cowwoc wrote:

> Ryan Lubke-2 wrote:
>> Additionally, Grizzly isn't a full web container.  We'd like to have
>> full Servlet support within Grizzly, but we're not quite there yet.
>>
> What sort of things are missing?
>
> Gili

Re: Netbeans plugin

Sebastien Dionne

It doesn't support ejb and webservices but support the rest

On Jun 15, 2011 3:15 PM, "Justin Lee" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Basic servlets work (doGet, doPost, etc) but the deployer support isn't
> nearly there, afaik. Sebastien has done a fair bit of work on that but
> I couldn't tell you how far along that is.
>
> On 6/15/11 2:26 PM, cowwoc wrote:
>> Ryan Lubke-2 wrote:
>>> Additionally, Grizzly isn't a full web container. We'd like to have
>>> full Servlet support within Grizzly, but we're not quite there yet.
>>>
>> What sort of things are missing?
>>
>> Gili

Re: Netbeans plugin

cowwoc
All I'd need to be able to do is:

1. Launch Grizzly
2. deploy a webapp
3. Shut down Grizzly

I don't need support for redeploying webapps because I want to force a full JVM shutdown in such a case. Is Sebastien around to comment on whether this is possible?

Gili

Justin Lee-4 wrote

On 6/15/11 2:26 PM, cowwoc wrote:
> Ryan Lubke-2 wrote:
>> Additionally, Grizzly isn't a full web container.  We'd like to have
>> full Servlet support within Grizzly, but we're not quite there yet.
>>
> What sort of things are missing?
>
> Gili

Re: Netbeans plugin

cowwoc
survivant wrote
It doesn't support ejb and webservices but support the rest
That's fine. I'm only looking for servlet support. I'm looking to build a Jersey-based application on top of it. I think this will make an attractive addition to anyone doing lightweight application development. The only other alternative is Jetty but it has poor Netbeans integration as well.

Gili

Re: Netbeans plugin

Justin Lee-4
IIRC, there's already a grizzly/jersey integration if that helps.

On 6/15/11 3:26 PM, cowwoc wrote:

> survivant wrote:
>> It doesn't support ejb and webservices but support the rest
>>
> That's fine. I'm only looking for servlet support. I'm looking to build a
> Jersey-based application on top of it. I think this will make an attractive
> addition to anyone doing lightweight application development. The only other
> alternative is Jetty but it has poor Netbeans integration as well.
>
> Gili

Re: Netbeans plugin

Sebastien Dionne

Yes it works.

And you will be able to make it works because I did a eclipse plugin for Grizzly deployer :)

I just didn't release it.   Was to busy...  :)