Quantcast

JDK Versions

Ryan Lubke-2
Hey Folks,

I wanted to touch base with the Grizzly community to get an idea of what JDK versions everyone is using Grizzly with.

2.3 is still compatible with 1.6, however, at some point we'll need to pull the plug on that compatibility.  I'm trying to get a sense of how large of a leap we can make.

Ideally, I'd like to transition to 8.  What do you guys think?

Thanks,
-rl

Re: JDK Versions

2.4 or 3.0.  Certainly not for 2.3.

January 11, 2017 at 15:43
Hi Ryan,

We no longer need to support JDK6, but we can't move to JDK8 yet, as
while our latest versions require JDK8 we are sill need to support
versions of our product that support JDK7 for the time being.

Were you considering this for a 2.4?

regards,
Dan
January 11, 2017 at 15:20
Hey Folks,

I wanted to touch base with the Grizzly community to get an idea of what JDK versions everyone is using Grizzly with.

2.3 is still compatible with 1.6, however, at some point we'll need to pull the plug on that compatibility.  I'm trying to get a sense of how large of a leap we can make.

Ideally, I'd like to transition to 8.  What do you guys think?

Thanks,
-rl

Re: JDK Versions

Mkrtchyan, Tigran
Hi Ryan,

Java 8 sounds great! I am even volunteer to help with migration.

But you need to bump the version number to indicate that and put 2.3 into maintenance mode.

Tigran.

On Jan 12, 2017 00:21, Ryan Lubke <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Folks,

I wanted to touch base with the Grizzly community to get an idea of what JDK versions everyone is using Grizzly with.

2.3 is still compatible with 1.6, however, at some point we'll need to pull the plug on that compatibility.  I'm trying to get a sense of how large of a leap we can make.

Ideally, I'd like to transition to 8.  What do you guys think?

Thanks,
-rl

Re: JDK Versions

Bongjae Chang
Hi Ryan,

I also think JDK8 sounds great for 2.4 or 3.0. :)
But we have a headache with AHC. :(

Regards,
Bongjae Chang

Thanks,
-rl

Re: JDK Versions

Ryan Lubke-2

January 12, 2017 at 21:50
Hi Ryan,

I also think JDK8 sounds great for 2.4 or 3.0. :)
But we have a headache with AHC. :(

Yes we do.  I'm open to suggestions :)

Regards,
Bongjae Chang

-rl

Re: JDK Versions

So, I'm working on the AHC issue internally.  Will report once I have more to share.

Regarding JDK versions, for 2.3.30, I'd like to switch to 1.7 as the minimum JDK and leverage those features of that language level.
Grizzly 3.0, shift to 1.8.  Anyone who wishes to contribute to JDK8-ifying 3.0 is welcome to do so.

Please speak up if a shift to 1.7 for 2.3 is a no-go.  If I don't hear from anyone against the transition my March 8, I'll consider the issue closed
and make the appropriate changes to the pom files.

Thanks,
-rl

January 12, 2017 at 21:50
Hi Ryan,

I also think JDK8 sounds great for 2.4 or 3.0. :)
But we have a headache with AHC. :(

Regards,
Bongjae Chang

-rl

Re: JDK Versions

Ryan Lubke-2
DONE:

2.3 going forward has a minimum requirement of 1.7.
3.0 will be 1.8.

March 1, 2017 at 22:52