Glassfish and Grizzly development

Alex Davies-Moore
Hi all,

Apologies if this is already answered (couldn't see so) - does the recent Oracle announcement about dropping commercial Glassfish support (and hence the speculation around OSS Glassfish development slowing) have any affect on Grizzly development?

Thanks

Alex

Re: Glassfish and Grizzly development

Ryan Lubke-2
Hi Alex,

I won't try to sugar coat this (much), but yes, there may be some impact
on the project.  Those of us working for Oracle are being re-tasked.
That said, I don't think we have any intention in just throwing in the
towel on Grizzly.  We very much enjoy working on the project, we think
it's still valuable,
and we like working with the community surrounding it.

So, if you do have an outstanding issue or mail you're waiting to be
answered, please understand, we may be slower to react than usual - but
we'll get to them as soon
as we possibly can.

That having been said, now would also be a perfect time for those of you
who have interest in helping with Grizzly, beyond feedback, to towards
becoming
a committer!  We'll do our best to help you achieve that goal and we'd
love the help (and that was always true, well before this announcement).

Thanks,
  - The Grizzly Team

Alex Davies-Moore wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Apologies if this is already answered (couldn't see so) - does the
> recent Oracle announcement about dropping commercial Glassfish support
> (and hence the speculation around OSS Glassfish development slowing)
> have any affect on Grizzly development?
>
> Thanks
>
> Alex

Alex

Re: Glassfish and Grizzly development

Alex Davies-Moore-2
Thanks for the reply guys. Just like to say thanks for all the effort you guys have put in.

Alex

Alex Davies-Moore / Developer

25 Wayman Road / Corfe Mullen / Dorset / BH21 3PL UK
P: +44 (0) 1202 697 394 / M: +44 (0) 7961 629 399 / W: devork.com / B: blog.devork.com

Devork Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales
Registered number:
07699891
Registered office: 25 Wayman Road, Corfe Mullen, Dorset, BH21 3PL

This message and any files transmitted with it are the property of Devork Ltd, are confidential, and are intended solely for the use of the person or entity to whom this e-mail is addressed. If you are not one of the named recipient(s) or otherwise have reason to believe that you have received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete this message immediately from your computer. Any other use, retention, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

Alex

Re: Glassfish and Grizzly development

Mkrtchyan, Tigran
I want to support Ryan. If we care, we can keep it alive.
If we move away, then we will kill the project in did.
Sure, none of us will spent 100% of his time on Grizzly, but
keeping it up-to-date with modern requirements and technology
should not take too much time.

Tigran.

> Like the others I'd like to say thanks for all the effort.
>
> /JM
>

> 2013/11/14 Alex Davies-Moore <[hidden email]>
>
> > Thanks for the reply guys. Just like to say thanks for all the effort you
> > guys have put in.
> >
> > Alex
> >

> > *Alex Davies-Moore / Developer*
> >
> > 25 Wayman Road / Corfe Mullen / Dorset / BH21 3PL / UK
> > P: +44 (0) 1202 697 394 / M: +44 (0) 7961 629 399 / W:
> > devork.com<http://www.devork.com/> /
> > B: blog.devork.com
> >
> > Devork Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales
> > Registered number: 07699891
> > Registered office: 25 Wayman Road, Corfe Mullen, Dorset, BH21 3PL
> >
> > This message and any files transmitted with it are the property of Devork
> > Ltd, are confidential, and are intended solely for the use of the person or
> > entity to whom this e-mail is addressed. If you are not one of the named
> > recipient(s) or otherwise have reason to believe that you have received
> > this message in error, please contact the sender and delete this message
> > immediately from your computer. Any other use, retention, dissemination,
> > forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.
> >

> > On 14 November 2013 17:08, Ryan Lubke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Alex,
> >>
> >> I won't try to sugar coat this (much), but yes, there may be some impact
> >> on the project.  Those of us working for Oracle are being re-tasked.
> >> That said, I don't think we have any intention in just throwing in the
> >> towel on Grizzly.  We very much enjoy working on the project, we think
> >> it's
> >> still valuable,
> >> and we like working with the community surrounding it.
> >>
> >> So, if you do have an outstanding issue or mail you're waiting to be
> >> answered, please understand, we may be slower to react than usual - but
> >> we'll get to them as soon
> >> as we possibly can.
> >>
> >> That having been said, now would also be a perfect time for those of you
> >> who have interest in helping with Grizzly, beyond feedback, to towards
> >> becoming
> >> a committer!  We'll do our best to help you achieve that goal and we'd
> >> love the help (and that was always true, well before this announcement).
> >>

> >> Thanks,
> >>  - The Grizzly Team

Re: Glassfish and Grizzly development

Marc Arens
This is sureley the best way to keep Grizly alive. And yet another thank you to
Ryan and Alexey from my side.

Best regards,
Marc

Re: Glassfish and Grizzly development

Alex Davies-Moore-2
From a project POV, will Grizzly still be using the same JIRA etc or is that also to be shutdown?

On 15 November 2013 08:42, Marc Arens <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is sureley the best way to keep Grizly alive. And yet another thank you to
Ryan and Alexey from my side.

> On 15 November 2013 at 09:27 "Mkrtchyan, Tigran" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> I want to support Ryan. If we care, we can keep it alive.
> If we move away, then we will kill the project in did.
> Sure, none of us will spent 100% of his time on Grizzly, but
> keeping it up-to-date with modern requirements and technology
> should not take too much time.
>
> Tigran.

Best regards,
Marc

Re: Glassfish and Grizzly development

Sébastien Lorber
Thanks Ryan and others :)

2013/11/15 Alex Davies-Moore <[hidden email]>
From a project POV, will Grizzly still be using the same JIRA etc or is that also to be shutdown?

Alex

Alex Davies-Moore / Developer

25 Wayman Road / Corfe Mullen / Dorset / BH21 3PL UK
P: <a href="tel:%2B44%20%280%29%201202%20697%20394" value="+441202697394" target="_blank">+44 (0) 1202 697 394 / M: <a href="tel:%2B44%20%280%29%207961%20629%20399" value="+447961629399" target="_blank">+44 (0) 7961 629 399 / W: devork.com / B: blog.devork.com

Devork Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales
Registered number:
07699891
Registered office: 25 Wayman Road, Corfe Mullen, Dorset, BH21 3PL

This message and any files transmitted with it are the property of Devork Ltd, are confidential, and are intended solely for the use of the person or entity to whom this e-mail is addressed. If you are not one of the named recipient(s) or otherwise have reason to believe that you have received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete this message immediately from your computer. Any other use, retention, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

On 15 November 2013 08:42, Marc Arens <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is sureley the best way to keep Grizly alive. And yet another thank you to
Ryan and Alexey from my side.

> On 15 November 2013 at 09:27 "Mkrtchyan, Tigran" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> I want to support Ryan. If we care, we can keep it alive.
> If we move away, then we will kill the project in did.
> Sure, none of us will spent 100% of his time on Grizzly, but
> keeping it up-to-date with modern requirements and technology
> should not take too much time.
>
> Tigran.

Best regards,
Marc

Re: Glassfish and Grizzly development

There were never any plans to just pull the plug.  Everything will remain as is and we'll continue working on Grizzly as much as we can.

From a project POV, will Grizzly still be using the same JIRA etc or is that also to be shutdown?

Best regards,
Marc